Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dieting is Futile after you say "I do"

I just got married this past January. I remember up until the wedding day how I religiously slashed my carbs to have a sleek sillouette for the pictures. Such willpower...such self-control. Little did I know that the moment my friends and family showered me with birdseed that it was laced with an insatiable appetite.

We went to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic for our honeymoon...the most wonderful excursion of my life...everything was all-inclusive. I will never forget that first day we arrived. I was greeted with a "welcome drink," a sugary fruit concoction fortelling many more carbs to come. That first night we ate at a lovely restaurant where you picked several options off a menu. The meat sampler caught my eye. I ordered with the satisfaction that I was some how able to sneak Mr. Atkins into the restaurant. Meat and wine...what could be better? My eyes gazed around this starry Paradise and landed on the dessert buffet table. Talk about a fixation...chocolate cheesecake, plantain pudding, and plenty of other unrecognizable delicious sweet souffles that were calling my name. It was clearly time to break it off with Mr. Atkins. I was married now.

I decided then, I would completely enjoy myself and eat whatever my heart desired...just for the honeymoon. Well, who says the honeymoon has to end? When we got back, my meals of choice looked strangely similar to my husband's. Instead of scrambled eggs for breakfast...bagel and cream cheese! Who needs a protein bar for lunch when you can enjoy a few slices of supreme pizza? Dinner gets even better...pasta and chips!!

Surprisingly, I became a much more pleasant person to be around after the pre-carb era. My husband at least seemed to notice. No more blood sugar drops, migraines, or seeing spots. I now realize that neither approach to food was healthy. I didn't have to completely snub the whole food group, but I didn't have to gorge on carbs either. Compromise! This could be the key to not only a happy marriage, but also a happy nutritional life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer,

    Very nicely written.

    "Surprisingly, I became a much more pleasant person to be around after the pre-carb era".. This line was too good :-)

    Regards,

    ReplyDelete